Dr. Dai is Associate Professor with Tenure and Director of the Department of Environmental Management in the College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering at Peking University. He is also a joint appointment research fellow of the Institute for Global Health and Development and the Institute of Area Studies at Peking University.
Dr. Dai’s research focuses on green low-carbon transformation and human planetary health at the local, national and global scales. By developing and applying the state-of-the-art integrated assessment model, the IMED model (Link), key questions are explored on the mitigation costs of achieving ambitious climate targets and their co-benefits on improvements in air pollution, human health and resource efficiency, which could provide scientific support for policymaking to find out how the society could achieve carbon emission peak, carbon neutrality and other sustainable development goals.
Dr. Dai has been the PI or a core member of national, provincial or international research programs with over USD 3.5M in competitive grants funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, the Ministry of Science and Technology, Hong Kong University Grants Committee, the UK Wellcome Trust Fundation, the US Energy Foundation, the US Environmental Defense Fund and the Natural Resources Defense Council, etc.
Dr. Dai has published over 80 papers, including 75 SCI/SSCI papers, 52 first or corresponding author papers, 14 ESI 1% highly cited papers and 4 hot papers in the journals of environmental health and energy economics such as Nature Food, One Earth etc. With total citations over 6000, his H-index is 37 on the Web of Science. A brief review of the publications could be downloaded here in Chinese or English. More recent publications are available at the University homepage, Google Scholar or Researchgate. His most recent CV: CN or EN.
Dr. Dai has been awarded the Outstanding Young Scholars by the National Natural Science Foundation of China in 2022. For three consecutive years from 2020 (Link) to 2022 (Link), Dr. Dai ranked as the World’s Top 2% most-cited scientists released by Stanford University and Mendeley Data. He is also recognized as the global top 100000 scholar list released by Global Author ID in 2021 (Link).
Dr. Dai serves as the Standing Committee Member of Branch of Ecological and Environmental Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering Society of China, and Committee Member of City Air Integrated Management and Low Carbon Action Partnership of China, Committee Member of Branch of Climate Change of Chinese Society for Sustainable Development, as well as Committee Member of Industry Ecology Committee,Ecological Society of China.
Dr. Dai is active in multiple international science programs or Non-Governmental Organizations (NOGs). He serves as the Lead Author of the UNEP Global Environment Outlook Sixth Edition (GEO-6) for Cities (Link) and GEO-7, Contributing Author and governmental reviewer of the IPCC 6th Assessment Report, Global Burden of Disease (GBD) Collaborator. He is also the Member of the U.S.-China Track II Dialogue on Healthcare. He has also provided professional consulting services to various international NGOs such as the Energy Foundation China, Environmental Defense Foundation, Natural Resources Defense Council and so on.
- 2009/10 – 2012/12 Ph.D., Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan in Social Engineering.
- 2006/10 – 2009/03 M.Sc., Technical University of Munich, Germany in Environmental Planning and Engineering Ecology.
- 2002/09 – 2006/07 B.Sc., Peking University, China in Environmental Science.
- 2023/02 – present Associate Professor with Tenure, College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Peking University.
- 2021/05 – present Director, Department of Environmental Management, CESE, PKU.
- 2021/05 – present Joint Appointment Research Fellow. Institute for Global Health and Development, Peking University.
- 2021/05 – present Joint Appointment Research Fellow, Institute of Area Studies at Peking University.
- 2017/10 – 2018/10 Executive Director, International Project Office of Monsoon Asia Integrated Research for Sustainability, Future Earth (MAIRS-FE).
- 2017/01 – 2023/01 Assistant Professor, College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Peking University.
- 2013/01 – 2016/12 Research Associate, Integrated Environment and Economics Section, Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan.
- 2009/04 – 2009/09 Research Assistant, Integrated Assessment Modeling Section, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan.
-------Research Project (Selected)---------
As one of the active researchers in climate and environmental policy assessment in China, Dr. Dai has been the PI or a core member of multiple research programs with a total of nearly 4 million USD in competitive grants in recent years, including national projects such as the National Natural Science Foundation of China Youth Program, Outstanding Youth Science Fund Program, General Program, subtopic of Key Projects, International (Regional) Cooperation and Exchange Projects, and National Key R&D Programs of the Ministry of Science and Technology, as well as provincial or international projects funded by the Hong Kong University Grants Committee, the UK Wellcome Trust Fundation, the US Energy Foundation, the US Environmental Defense Fund and the Natural Resources Defense Council, etc.
- 2023/01 – 2025/12 National Science Fund for Outstanding Young Scholars, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Research on Climate and Environmental Policy, Principal Investigator
- 2023/04 – 2025/03 International Cooperation Project of National Key Research and Development Program of China of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (MOST), Integrated Assessment of Trade-offs and Synergies of Water-Energy-Food and Environmental and Health Effects towards Carbon Neutrality in China, In charge of sub-topic
- 2023/01 – 2025/12 Key Projects of National Key Research and Development Program of MOST, "Four Structural Adjustment and Optimization Technologies for Synergistic Efficiency of Pollution Reduction and Carbon Reduction", in charge of subtopic 1: Research on the Synergistic Emission Reduction Effect and Economic Impact of China's Social and Economic Transformation
- 2023/01 – 2027/12 Key Program, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Multidimensional Carbon Neutrality Policy Simulation Study Based on Complex System modeling, In charge of sub-topic 3
- 2022/06 – 2025/05 University Grants Committee (UGC in Hong Kong) Collaborative Research Fund (CRF), Co-benefits of climate change mitigation of the Guangdong-Hong Kong- Macau Greater Bay Area (GBA), In charge of sub-topic 3
- 2022/01 – 2024/12 Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Basic Research Cooperation Special Project, Coordinative Development and Optimal Design towards Double-Carbon Goals in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei, Principal Investigator
- 2021/01 – 2024/12 General Program, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Co-benefit and trade-off of carbon reduction and water conservation targets at provincial level in China, Principal Investigator
- 2021/06 -- 2022/05 Energy Foundation China, The Relationship between Ozone and Greenhouse Gases and the Target Indicators for Coordinated Control in China, Key Member
- 2020/06 -- 2021/05 Energy Foundation China, Research on air quality improvement strategy in line with climate target in the Greater Bay Area in China, Key Member
- 2020/06 – 2023/05 Wellcome Trust Foundation, UK, "Electric vehicles’ health and climate benefits in China and India", Co-Principal Investigator
- 2019/12 – 2021/12 Key Projects of National Key Research and Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (MOST), Principles and Technical Approaches of Regional Air Quality Control, Key Member
- 2019/01 – 2023/12 Funds for International Cooperation and Exchange, NSFC, "The principles of green and low carbon development of Chinese society and economic system", In charge of sub-topic 2
- 2018/01 – 2021/12 Bilateral International Cooperation Program, NSFC, Multi-model innovations in Integrated Assessment Modelling of Chinese, Irish and Global energy-economy-environment-climate systems investigating deep decarbonisation pathways from the Paris Agreement to the United Nations sustainable development goals, 51861135102, In charge of sub-topic 2
- 2018/01 -- 2020/12 Youth Science Fund, NSFC, "Study on the green and low-carbon co-benefits of addressing overcapacity in the steel and cement industries based on integrated assessment models", 71704005, Principal Investigator
- 2017/12 – 2021/05 Key Projects of National Key Research and Development Program of MOST, "Joint demonstration of air pollution prevention and control and heavy pollution emergency technology and integration in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and surrounding areas", WP6: Study on the System and Implementation Plan of Joint Air Pollution Prevention and Control Mechanism, 2017YFC0213000, Participate in sub-topic 6
- 2017/12 – 2021/05 Key Projects of National Key Research and Development Program of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (MOST), "Joint demonstration of air pollution prevention and control and heavy pollution emergency technology and integration in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and surrounding areas", WP3: Genesis analysis and source identification technology for typical heavy pollution processes, 2017YFC0213000, In charge of sub-topic 3
- 2017/10 – 2018/09 NSFC, "The Impacts of U.S. Withdrawal from the Paris Agreement on Global Climate Governance and China's Response", NSFC, 71741011
- 2017/01 – 2019/12 Startup Research Fund of College of Environmental Science and Engineering at Peking University, Principal Investigator
- Journals：Nature; Nature Climate Change; Nature Sustainability; Science Bulletin; Energy Economics; Energy Policy; Environmental Science & Technology etc.
- Funding Agencies：National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Ph.D. dissertations：Ministry of Education of PRC, Peking University, Tsinghua University, University College London etc.
- Homepage: http://scholar.pku.edu.cn/hanchengdai
- Personal CV: https://www.jianguoyun.com/p/DblxyYoQlL7CBhiiz3M
- About LEEEP: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/-yxEGe_pqD70uO-e6fNpPQ
- About IMED: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/jCZGZ0ZVFtSFmZQlDjc2nw
- IMED Book in Chinese: https://www.jianguoyun.com/p/DVrcIwsQlL7CBhjE13M
- IMED Book in English: https://www.jianguoyun.com/p/DZnI8a8QlL7CBhi913M
- IMED Literature | One Earth: Achieving carbon neutrality enables China to attain its industrial water-use target: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/S9Iopn_zCc9zN7_1-5jIDA
- IMED Literature | Health Impacts of Clean Air & Climate Policy: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/rX1QHan2uWP9hYmOs01Dcg
- IMED Collaboration | A Multi-model Comparison of Carbon Tax Policy in China: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/u3rxqmSJKXDdVVvJ31qTmg
- LEEEP Research | Evaluating cost and benefit of air pollution control policies in China: a systematic review： https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/kzdTbEexFAhPwPr0G_F7TQ
- LEEEP Paper cited by IPCC AR6: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/a8-SKPYmEBGRBdu8dyqPCg
- Yang Xiaofang
- Jiang Qin
- 2021 Liu Xinyuan
- 2020 Lu Pantao
- 2019 Hu Huiran
- 2022 TBD
- 2021 Pan Yujie, Zhou Ziqiao, Liu Xinyuan (co-supervised)
- 2020 Ma Teng, Zhang Silu (co-supervised)
- 2019 Wu Yazhen
- 2018 Guo Chaoyi
- 2017 Liu Xiaoyu (co-supervised)
- 2015 Li Boshu (co-supervised)
- 2018 Liu Xiaorui
- 2017 Lu Pantao
- 2015 Zhang Xiang（co-supervised）
- 2021 Ma Xiaotian, Fang Chen
- 2020 Lin Pengsheng, Xiao Yilong
- 2019 Peng Hantang, Long Zhijing
- 2018 Ma Teng, Zhang Silu
- 2017 Chen Xiang, Han Yalong, Yang Jingfei, Zhang Yuxuan, Liu Xiaorui