刘建国 JIANGUO LIU
Ph.D., Associate Professor(with tenure)
Department of Environmental Sciences，College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering，Peking University
Beijing, China 100871
The Emission, Exposure, Impact and Policy of Chemicals.
Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences, School of Environmental Sciences, 2007
Dissertation: Environmentally Sound Management of Chemicals: Risk Management and Governance (Advisor: Prof. Xiaoyan Tang)
M.S. in Environmental Chemistry, Center for Environmental Sciences, 1998
Dissertation: Emission Measurement and δ13C Isotope Analysis of Methane from Rice Fields (Advisors: Prof. Kesheng Shao)
B.S. in Environmental Chemistry, Department of Environmental Sciences, 1995
2008–now, Associate Professor, College of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (CESE)
2002–2007, Assistant Professor, College of Environmental Sciences (former of CESE)
1998–2002, Teaching Assistant, Assistant Professor, Center for Environmental Sciences
2017-2018, Visiting Scholar, The Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future
Environmental Issues and Environmentally Sound Management of Chemicals (2005-present)
Environmental Risk Assessment and Management of Chemicals (2018-present)
General Environmental Sciences (Course for general education of PKU, 2002-present)
Experiments of Quantified Analytical Chemistry (1998-2000)
PUBLICATIONS (*: Corresponding Author; #: Advisee; IF: Impact Factor, Since 2010)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
[I]. Environmental Emission & Exposure of Chemicals
- Chengkang Chen#, Jie Wang, Li Li*, Weiguang Xu, Jianguo Liu*. Comparison of fluorotelomer alcohol emissions from wastewater treatment plants into atmospheric and aquatic environments. Environment International, 2020, 139, 105718. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2020.105718. (IF7.58)
- Kaihui Shen#, Li Li, Junzhou Liu, Chengkang Chen, Jianguo Liu*, Stocks, flows and emission of DBDPE in China and its international distribution through products and waste, Environmental Pollution, 2019, 250, 79–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2019.03.090. (IF6.79)
- Chengkang Chen#, Li Li, Junzhou Liu, Jianguo Liu*, Global environmental fate of short-chain chlorinated paraffins: Modeling with a single vs. multiple sets of physicochemical properties, Science of The Total Environment, 2019, 666, 423–430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.02.157. (IF6.55)
- Bowen Ti#, Li Li, Jianguo Liu*, Chengkang Chen, Global distribution potential and regional environmental risk of F-53B, Science of The Total Environment, 2018, 640–641, 1365–1371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.05.313. (IF6.55)
- Jie Wang#, Li Li, Jianguo Liu*, Bowen Ti, Distribution mode and environmental risk of POP pesticides such as endosulfan under the agricultural practice of straw incorporating, Environmental Pollution, 2017, 220, 1394–1399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2016.10.095. (IF6.79)
- Li Li#*, Jianguo Liu*, Frank Wenina, Jianxin Hu, The degradation of fluorotelomer-based polymers contributes to the global occurrence of fluorotelomer alcohol and perfluoroalkyl carboxylates: A combined dynamic substance flow and environmental fate modelling analysis, Environmental Sciences & Technology, 2017, 51 (8), 4461–4470. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.6b04021. (IF7.86)
- Li Li#, Roland Weber, Jianguo Liu*, Jianxin Hu, Long-term emissions of hexabromocyclododecane as a chemical of concern in products in China, Environment International, 2016, 91, 291–300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2016.03.007. (IF7.58)
- Li Li#, Jianguo Liu*, Jianxin Hu, Global inventory, long-range transport and environmental distribution of dicofol, Environmental Sciences & Technology, 2015, 49 (1), 212–222. https://doi.org/10.1021/es502092x. (IF7.86).
- Lai Zhang#, Yan Cao, Xuewen Hao, Yongyong Zhang, Jianguo Liu*, Application of the GREAT-ER model for environmental risk assessment of nonylphenol and nonylphenol ethoxylates in China, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2015, 22 (23), 18531–18540. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5352-3.(IF3.0)
- Xuewen Hao#, Yan Cao, Lai Zhang, Yongyong Zhang, Jianguo Liu*, Flouroguinolones in the Wenyu River Catchment, China: Occurrence simulation and risk assessment, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 2015, 34 (12), 2764–2770. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.3158. (IF3.41)
- Li Li#, Zihan Zhai, Jianguo Liu, Jianxin Hu*, Estimating industrial and domestic environmental releases of perfluorooctanoic acid and its salts in China from 2004 to 2012, Chemosphere, 2015, (129) 100–109, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.11.049. (IF5.78)
- Lai Zhang#, Jianguo Liu*, Jianxin Hu, Chao Liu, Weiguang Guo, Qiang Wang, Hong Wang. The inventory of sources, environmental releases and risk assessment for perfluorooctane sulfonate in China, Environmental Pollution, 2012, 165, 193–198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2011.09.001. (IF6.79)
- Xuwen Hao#, Li Li, Jie Wang, Yan Cao, Jianguo Liu*, Status Quo, Uncertainties and trends analysis of environmental risk assessment for PFASs, Environmental Science, 2015, 36 (08), 3106–3118. (Chinese core journal, IN CHINESE)
[II]. Human Exposure & Risk Assessment of Chemicals
- Yan Cao#, Jianguo Liu*; Yang Liu, Jie Wang, Xuewen Hao, An integrated exposure assessment of phthalates for the general population in China based on both exposure scenario and biomonitoring estimation approaches, Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2016, 74, 34–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2015.11.019. (IF3.79)
- Shan Yi#, Jian-Guo Liu *, Jun Jin, Jing Zhu, Assessment of the occupational and environmental risks of hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) in China, Chemosphere, 2016, 150, 431–437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.01.047. (IF5.78)
[III]. Socio-Economic Impacts & Policies Studies on Chemicals
- Yan Cao#, Li Li, Kaihui Shen, Jianguo Liu*, Disease burden attributable to endocrine-disrupting chemicals exposure in China: A case study of phthalates, Science of The Total Environment, 2019, 662, 615–621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.01.255. (IF6.55)
- Jing Zhu#, Jianguo Liu*, Jianxin Hu, Shan Yi, Socio-economic analysis of the risk management of hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) in China in the context of the Stockholm Convention, Chemosphere, 2016, 150, 520–527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.11.007. (IF5.78)
- Bowen Ti#, Jie Wang, Jianguo Liu*, Socio-economic analysis of Endosulfan phase-out for China to implement the Stockholm Convention, Research of Environmental Sciences，2016, 29 (08), 1241–1248. (Chinese core journal, IN CHINESE)
- Jing Zhu#, Jianguo Liu*, Lai Zhang, Shan Yi，Developing methodology for social-economic analysis in chemicals management, Environmental Science and Technology，2013, 36 (09), 198-204. (Chinese core journal, IN CHINESE)
- Jianguo Liu, Li Li, Jianxin Hu, Substances of Very High Concern (SVHCs): Chemical risk management systems, capabilities and basic research challenges in China, Chinese Science Bulletin, 2013, 58 (26), 2643–2650. (Chinese core journal, IN CHINESE)
- LIU Jianguo, Ed. in Chief, Chemicals Management in China: Profile and Assessment. Beijing: Peking University Press, 2015. (IN CHINESE)
- LIU Jianguo, HU Jianxin, YU Lifeng, DING Qiong, CHEN Haijun, The Guidance of Policies and Regulations on Persistent Organic Pollutants in Developed Countries. Chinese Environmental Science Press, 2015. (IN CHINESE)
- LIU Jianguo, HU Jianxin, YU Lifeng, DING Qiong, CHEN Haijun, The Guidance and Handbook of Laws, Regulation and Rules on Persistent Organic Pollutants in China [In Chinese]. Chinese Environmental Science Press, 2012. (IN CHINESE)
- As a core member in the writing group, Strategies to Precaution of Chemical Environmental Risk, Chinese Environmental Science Press, 2014. (IN CHINESE, as the leading or core author of four Chapters of the book with total eight Chapters)
- LIU Jianguo, Environmentally Sound Management of Chemicals: Risk Management & Governance. Beijing: Chinese Environmental Science Press, 2008. (IN CHINESE)
Research Reports （As Editor in Chief or Leading author, ALL IN CHINESE）
- National Profile of Chemicals Management in China (in both Chinese and English), 2015. As a national evaluation report, adopted by Chinese government and published by United Nations Institute of Training and Research (UNITAR) on the National Profile website: http://cwm.unitar.org/national-profiles/nphomepage/np3_region.aspx#asia.
- White Paper on Policies and Actions on Environmentally Sound Management of Chemicals (ESMC), 2015. As a strategy of ESMC in China toward 2030, sponsored and circulated by the Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP).
- Special Report to the State Council on the Development of National Strategy on Risk Management of Hazardous Chemicals, 2014. Endorsed by the vise premier of the State Council.
- Analysis on Emerging Policy Issues (EPIs) and other Key Issues in International Conference of Chemicals Management (ICCM) and China’s Policy Analysis on Emerging Policy Issues (EDCs, CiPs and HHPs etc,) in the Fourth session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM4), 2015. Sponsored by MEP, adopted as a formal guidance by the Chinese Delegation for ICCM4.
- Preliminary Socio-economic Analysis on International Ban of Short-chain Chlorinated Paraffins (SCCPs) in China and Policy Suggestions, 2016. Sponsored by MEP and adopted by Chinese delegates in Twelfth meeting of the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee (POPRC12) as the reference in deliberation of listing SCCPs in the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- Socio-economic Analysis on Decabromodiphenyl ether (Deca-BDE) in China and Policy Suggestions, 2015. Sponsored by MEP and adopted by Chinese delegates in the Eleventh meeting of the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee (POPRC11) as the reference in deliberation of listing Deca-BDE in the Stockholm Convention.
- Socio-economic Analysis on Endosulfan in China and Proposals for the Implementation of the Stockholm Convention for China, 2015. Sponsored by Global Environment Facility (GEF) and MEP, adopted by the updated National Implementation Plan of China for the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants.
- Report on Socio-economic Analysis on Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) and Risk Management in China, 2013. Sponsored by MEP, adopted by the Chinese delegates in Sixth meeting of the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee (POPRC6) as the reference in deliberation of listing HBCD in the Stockholm Convention (SC), and adopted by the Standing Committee of the National People' s Congress (NPC) as the reference to ratify the amendment of the SC on HBCD.
- Study on International Chemicals Management Movement and Chinese Policies for Positive Participation, 2012. Sponsored and adopted by MEP for preparing to implement the SAICM, which was selected into the List of Outstanding Scientific Research Outputs of MEP during 2011-2012.
- Research Report and Draft of Chinese 12th Five-Years’ Plan (2010-2012) on Environmental Risk Control of Chemicals, 2012. Sponsored by MEP. Mostly adopted by the Chinese 12th Five-Years’ Plan on Environmental Risk Control of Chemicals published by MEP in 2013, for which I was awarded the Science and Technology of Environmental Protection Award from MEP (for "Design and policy studies on environmental risk management of chemicals in China") in 2015.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS (Selected)
I. International Conferences（Keynote or Oral presentations, in English，# Reporter）
- C.Chen#, Li Li, Jianguo Liu: “How Does Modeling of the Global Environmental Fate of Short-Chain Chlorinated Paraffins Complement the Global Environmental Monitoring”, SETAC North America 40th Annual Meeting，3-7 November 2019, Toronto, Canada（Oral presentation, the reporter, Chengkang Chen, is my PhD student）
- Jianguo Liu#, Li Li: “Improve the link between academic research and policy-making：Use of the SEA and DSFA on Risk Assessment & Management for Chemicals of Concern. ”, SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting，22-26 May 2016, Nantes, France. （Oral presentation）
- Jianguo Liu#, Jing ZHU, Shan YI:“Chemicals management policy issues in China: Social and economic analysis of HBCD as a case study”, Science and Policy of Flame Retardants and POPs in China and the US, sponsored by Green Science Policy Institute, UC Berkeley, April 21, 2015, Beijing, China. (Invited keynote speaker）
- Jianguo Liu#:“China: Striving to come up with global steps for chemical safety”, Workshop on Paths to Global Chemical Safety: The 2020 Goal & Beyond，sponsored by Center for International Environmental Law(CIEL), 11-12, March 2013,Washington D.C, US. (Invited keynote speaker)
- Jianguo Liu#:“Evolution of Environmentally Sound Management of Chemicals in China”, A vision of risk-based chemical management in Asia: developing tools and expertise through partnership，sponsored by Lancaster University, 18-19th October 2011, Colworth, UK. (Invited keynote speaker)
- LIU Jianguo:“Challenges and Strategies for Environmentally Sound Chemicals Management in China in the 14th Five Year Plan (2020-2025)”, High Level Workshop on Strategic Thoughts for The Environmental Management of Solid waste and Chemicals in the 14th Five Year Plan, Sponsored and being present by the Minister of Ecology and Environment of China, Dec. 12, 2019, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. (Invited keynote speaker)
- LIU Jianguo:“Review SAICM and Prospect New Framework of Global Governance of Chemicals Beyond-2020”，Forum on National Safety and Environmental Chemistry, The 10th National Conference on Environmental Chemistry, Aug. 16, 2019. Nankai University, Tianjin, China. (Co-chair of the Forum, Keynote speaker)
- LIU Jianguo:“Global Governance of Chemicals and Emerging Chemicals of Environmental and Health Concern”，The 2nd China Conference on Environment and Health (CCEH)，Jun. 12, 2019. Shenzhen, China. (Invited oral presentation, awarded Distinguished Speaker)
- LIU Jianguo:“Challenges and Strategies of China under Global Governance of Chemicals”, Summit Forum on National Chemicals Safety, Dec.20, 2018, Xiangshan, Beijing, China. (Invited keynote speaker）
- LIU Jianguo:“National Profile of Chemicals Management in China”, National Forum for Implementation of SAICM in China, Jun. 12, 2014. (Co-chair of the Forum, Keynote speaker)
- LIU Jianguo:“New POPs: Long-term Challenges and Positive Responses for Environmental Governance of Chemicals in China”, Technical Coordination Group(TCG) Meeting for China to Implement the Stockholm Convention, Dec. 12, 2012, Guangzhou, China. (Invited keynote speaker)
INVITATED LECTURES (Selected, in English or Chinese)
- Jianguo Liu:“Global Governance of Chemicals and National Profile of Chemicals Management in China”, Technical Training Workshop on Mercury Pollution Prevention and Disposal in Countries along “The Belts and Roads Initiative” , Jun. 18, 2019. Basal Convention Regional Center for Asia and Pacific, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. (In English）
- Jianguo Liu: “Challenges and Priorities of China in Global Governance of Chemicals beyond 2020”, Round Table dialogue on Sound Chemicals Management Beyond 2020: Exploring Challenges and Opportunities for China and Sweden, Dec. 12, 2018. Swedish Embassy Beijing, China. (Both in English and Chinese）
- LIU Jianguo: “New POPs: Long-term Challenges and Positive Responses for Environmental Governance of Chemicals in China”，Training for Environmental Protection Directors at Prefecture-level，July, 20, 2013.Beidaihe, China. (In Chinese)
- Jianguo Liu: “National Actions to Implement the Stockholm Convention in China”, Capacity Building for the Implementation of the Stockholm Convention in the Greater Mekong Subregion，Nov. 15, 2012. Nanning, China. (In English and Chinese)
- LIU Jianguo: “Environmental & Health Risk and Global Actions of Chemicals”, Capital Library Forum for Public, May, 15, 2013. Capital Library, Beijing. (In Chinese)
RESEARCH SUPPORT （As Sole Principal Investigator; Selected）
- National Natural Science Foundation of China： “Integrating Dynamic Substance Flow Analysis and Modified Multimedia Model for Risk Assessment of Perfluoroalkyl Substances (PFASs)”, 650,000 RMB, 2016-2019.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (FECO: No. C/V/S/17/234): “Investigation on the Production, Use and Socio-economic Analysis of Short-chain chlorinated paraffins (SCCPs) in China”, 690,000 RMB, 2017-2018.
- Global Environment Facility (GEF)/Ministry of Environmental Protection (FECO: No. C/V/S/14/258): “Investigation on Endosulfan Inventory and Development of Action Plan for Updating the National Implementation Plan of China for the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, 1000,000 RMB，2014-2015.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (FECO: No. C/V/S/12/179) ： “Socio-economic Analysis and Risk Management of Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD)”, 310,000RMB，2012-2013.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (FECO: No. C/CW/S/15/172): “Analysis on Emerging Policy Issues (EPIs) and other Key Issues in International Conference of Chemicals Management (ICCM) and China’s Policies”, 300,0000RMB, 2015-2016.
- UNEP/UNITAR/MEP (SAICM Quick Start Program No.IX.06.G.CHN): “Enabling Activities for the Development of a SAICM Implementation Plan as a Key Contribution towards an Integrated National Programme for the Sound Management of Chemicals in the People’s Republic of China”, 250,000 USD，2012-2015.
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (FECO: No. C/V/S/11/037): “Study on International Chemicals Management Movement and Chinese Policies for Positive Participation”, 400，000 RMB, 2011-2012
- Ministry of Environmental Protection (No.114100013 )：“Research and Development of Chinese 12th Five-Years’ Plan on Environmental Risk Control of Chemicals”, 5000,000 RMB, 2010-2012.
- Li Li (2012-2017, Co-advised with professor Jianxin Hu).
- Chengkang Chen (enrolled in 2017, expected to graduate in 2022, primary advising)
- Junzhou Liu (enrolled in 2018, expected to graduate in 2023, primary advising)
- Qiaonan Jing (enrolled in 2019, expected to graduate in 2023, primary advising)
- Weiguang Guo (2009-2012)
- Lai Zhang (2010-2013)
- Jing Zhu (2011-2014)
- Xuewen Hao (2012-2015)
- Shan Yi (2012-2015)
- Yan Cao (2013-2016)
- Jie Wang (2014-2017)
- Bowen Ti (2015-2018)
- Kaihui Shen(2016-2019)
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES (Selected)
- Environmental Sciences & Technology (ES&T)
- ES&T Letter
- Environmental Pollution
- Science of the Total Environment
- Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
- Emerging Contaminants
- Global Environment Outlook (GEO-6, by the UNEP)
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Global Chemicals Outlook (GCO-II) of UNEP, 2018-2019. (Acknowledged the contribution to the development of GCO-II: https://www.unenvironment.org/explore-topics/chemicals-waste/what-we-do/policy-and-governance/global-chemicals-outlook.)
- Consultant of the OECD/UNEP Global Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFC) Group in developing Synthesis Paper on PFCs, 2012. (Acknowledged in particular the contribution to the Group’s worldwide circulating guidance on PFCs: Synthesis Paper on PFCs: https://www.oecd.org/chemicalsafety/portal-perfluorinated-chemicals/).
- Member of International Expert Group of UNIDO in developing the first draft of the Guidance for the Inventory of Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (PFOS) and Related Chemicals listed under the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, 2011.
- Consultant & member of the Chinese governmental delegation for the International Chemical Management Conference on SAICM (Strategic Approach of International Chemicals Management) at ICCM2(2009), ICCM3(2012) and ICCM4(2015).
- Consultant & member of the Chinese governmental delegation for the intergovernmental negotiations and conference of parties of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants, INC7, COP1-COP7(2003-2015)
- Member of the Expert Review Committee for Chemicals Management of Ministry of Environmental Protection of China, 2010-present.
- Member of the Expert Committee on Persistent Organic Pollutants of Chinese Society for Environmental Science (CSES), 2013-present.
- Member of the Expert Committee on Chemicals Risk Control of Chinese Society for Environmental Science (CSES), 2016-present.
- Member of the Environmental Chemistry Sub-Committee of Chinese Society for Environmental Science (CSES), 2016-present.
- Member of the Expert Committee on Environmental Management of China Management Science Society (CMSS), 2016-present.
- National Environmental Protection Trainer, Ministry of Environmental Protection of China, 2017-present.
- Member of Apple Green Chemistry Advisory Board, Apple Inc., 2015-present.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- “Valuable support and contribution of GEF-UNIDO project “Strengthening Institutions, Regulations and Enforcement Capacities for Effective and Efficient Implementation of the National Implementation Plan (NIP) of the Stockholm Convention in China”, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), 2015.
- Environmental Protection Science & Technology Award (for "POPs Prevention, Control and Implementation of Stockholm Convention”), Ministry of Environmental Protection of China (MEP), 2016.
- Environmental Protection Science &Technology Award (for "Design and policy studies on environmental risk management of chemicals in China"), Ministry of Environmental Protection of China (MEP), 2015.
- Outstanding Professional on Environmental Science & Technology, Chinese Society for Environmental Sciences (CSES), 2016.
- Zeng xianzi Award for Outstanding Teaching, Peking University, 2017.
- Outstanding Individual Award for Industry-Academia-Research Collaboration, Peking University, 2015.